[Asterisk-Users] Tortoise CVS download for Asterisk Docs

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 09:30:48 MST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:10:25 -0500, dean collins <dean at collins.net.pr> wrote:
> What should I be using to read this so it doesn't show the XML?

This would have been more appropriate to post to the asterisk-docs
mailing list, but either way.

The documentation is written in DocBook. Whatever is checked into CVS
is in this format (hence why you see all sorts of tags). We do this
because it allows us to all have our own copy of the "code" on our
computers where we can write it and check in the sections of
documentation much like the source code for Asterisk.  This is because
files such as PDF and Word documents (or OpenOffice documents) are not
easily tracked between changes.

If you want to read the documentation in non-XML format, then download
a precompiled version off the ADP website in PDF format, or read it
online in HTML format (the PDF looks nicer of course).

The only reason you even need to use the CVS is to compile your own
version of the documentation locally, or to write documentation in
DocBook, create a diff and then post it to the asterisk-docs mailing
list for review and commitment to the CVS repository.

It sounds like you just want to read it.  You don't need CVS for this.

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.asteriskdocs.org