[Asterisk-Users] Minimum Setup

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sat Jan 29 09:25:23 MST 2005

Dave Morrow wrote:
> Hi all, I have asterisk installed and working just fine with a couple
> of Cisco IP Phones.  I am now ready to pilot connectivity to PSTN and
> am wondering what hardware would be recommended to make minimum
> connectivity to the public telephone network.

Minimum would be any device that gives you an FXO port. Then you'd just
order (or connect to) an analogue circuit.

> I am think ISDN as I
> would like a few external lines to be accessible.

ISDN? Well, a PRI-ISDN would give you 23/30 channels, so that'd
certainly be plenty. Not exactly minimal, though. If you are talking
BRI-ISDN, then you'd get 2 channels per BRI loop. The value and
availablilty of BRI is very dependant on where you are in the world.