[Asterisk-Users] SIP Caller ID Number vs. Caller ID Name

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Sat Jan 29 09:13:15 MST 2005

Stefan Gofferje wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a rather nasty problem. I have set up an asterisk test system
> with a Cisco phone, a X-Lite client and so on and did some testing.
> To the developers: great work! Hell of great!
> However, it seems to me like asterisk puts the Caller ID Number into the
> SIP Display Name and Called ID into the Caller ID Number. That is kinda
> ugly because one cannot use e.g. the missed-calls-function of the
> clients because - at least the Cisco phones - can only dial back to the
> stored Caller ID Number... Which is the Called ID...
> This becomes REALLY ugly if the caller also has a SIP client and has put
> his real name into Display Name (as supposed by most clients) and his
> number into the UID/Number field. Then I will find something like
>
> Stefan Gofferje
> 6000
>
> in the missed-calls-list of my extension 6000 client...
>
> Is there any chance to get asterisk to put numbers as they were supposed
> to be?

I don't know about other people, but I never bother to set the Caller*ID
info on the phones.  I like to override whatever the phone is sending as
the information by using callerid= option in zapata.conf, sip.conf,
iax.conf, etc.  i.e.  callerid=Robert Dobbs <6668>  (notoce the lack of
quotes, Cisco gets REALLY upset if there are quotes in the CallerID name.)

--Eric