[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom phones

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Jan 27 10:48:46 MST 2005

> I have the same dilemma with Polycom phones. Given their support
> (actually complete lack of), I am quite loathe to giving them business.
> On the other hand they are so darned cheap compared to other similar
> phones, I sure get tempted to use them if I can find a workaround.
>
> Compare Polycom IP-500 for $170 vs. Sayson-480i for $250 or SNOM-190
> for
> $220. If it were a matter of 1 or 2 phones, I will gladly go with SNOM
> or Sayson, but if I have to buy 50, Polycoms become irresistible.
>
> As a matter of fact, my current client needs 120 phones to work with
> Asterisk. I have to make a decision soon about which one do I give to
> him.

Between Snoms and Polycoms, I would go with Polycom every time.  The
users will love you for it.  There are many more features, the sound
quality is much better, they are easier to use, and the default ring
tone is not as annoying.  As an administrator with that many phones,
you NEED centralized administration, too.  Polycom provides a passable
mechanism to do this.  AFAIK, there is no centralized admin on the
Snoms.  I don't have experience with the Sayson's, so I can't comment
on them.