[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom phones

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Jan 27 10:41:52 MST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:45:53AM -0500, J Thomas said:

> > If the
> > difference is good support versus zero support, wouldn't the $50
> > difference between the 500 and the 480i be saved in the first 20 minutes
> > you spend fighting with a problem? Another factor is that one company tests
> > with * and the other shuns it.
>
> I have the same dilemma with Polycom phones. Given their support
> (actually complete lack of), I am quite loathe to giving them business.
> On the other hand they are so darned cheap compared to other similar
> phones, I sure get tempted to use them if I can find a workaround.

How do you get a workaround for lack of support? Working around one
configuration problem this time is one thing, but what about next time?
And the time after that? The support cost is not just initial install.
You will need to work with your customer for years with this phone
system, right?

> $220. If it were a matter of 1 or 2 phones, I will gladly go with SNOM
> or Sayson, but if I have to buy 50, Polycoms become irresistible.

True. It's a no-brainer with small volume, but for installations that
require that you support the product, it should be even more of a
no-brainer. As a dealer / installer, how can you possibly sell a
solution to a client where you have zero backup from the manufacturer?
Don't you have contractual liability?  Unlike Asterisk, you can't fix
firmware problems yourself.

Just more food for thought.

It sure would be nice if Polycom removed their head from their ***. Our
choices in good quality phones are slim. Our choices for Good quality
phones with support are worse.