[Asterisk-Users] Multi Asterisk Server Transfers

Mike Sander mike at corporatebankinginternational.com
Wed Jan 26 18:58:56 MST 2005

Hi,

We are in the business of setting up * servers for businesses, attached via
IAX trunks to our VoIP provider (also using *).

I have a client with a head office * server, who wants a number of remote
offices, with just 1 SIP connection to each. I can arrange this no probs
with our providers, but there are issues with transfer.

I don't want the remote offices making their direct SIP connection to the
head office, because bandwidth is limited and then for them to make an
outgoing call, the head office has both an incoming and outgoing connection
- or double the bandwidth. This is the same for an incoming call to head
office that gets transferred to the remote, the call stays with the head
office * server, and the server makes another outgoing call to the remote
office. All these calls are free, but use double the bandwidth.

The question:

The remote offices can make direct SIP connections to our provider. If the
head office * transfers a call, then the server releases the call entirely
back to the providers * server and calls from there.

I.E. call in to head office from PSTN through the provider. Call gets
transferred to the remote office. Head office could then unplug/burn/blowup
their asterisk server without disrupting the call between the remote office
and the PSTN network.

Is this possible? Companies with multiple * servers in many remote office,
surely have this system, to conserve bandwidth? How is the transfer made?
Mostly we are using X-PRO systems/Grandstream, with the Asterisk at home basic
release.

Thanks
Mike