[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 18:40:46 MST 2005

--- Remco Barende <asterisk at barendse.to> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Michael 'Moose' Dinn wrote:
>
> >> If you need a rocksolid solution have a look at astlinux that can
> boot *
> >> from a compact flash card in read only mode which makes it very
> hard to
> >> break :)
> >>

> > You should be able to boot Asterisk using slackware as a base from
> a 64M CF
> > card or even from a 64M bootable USB memory key. If you use
> ReiserFS or
> > something similar for the drive that stores all your voicemail, etc
> then it
> > should come back without a problem as well.
>
> Indeed, I'm thinking of using 2 CompactFlash ATA disks. One fully
> read
> only with just a small partition writable that will keep
> /etc/asterisk
> (astlinux mounts read-only always and only mounts read-write if you
> need
> to change/save the config). No worries about unclean shutdown.
>
> The second disk I will use for voicemail, and I can swap it every
> year
> before it wears down.

Better than that, mirror the disk.  Then when one drive fails
Linux will automatically use the other disk.  You can go one step
more and define a third disk as a "hot spare" then after Linux
detects the drive failure and switches to the surviving twin
it will also bring up the hot spare and begin building a replacement
for the dead twin.  You can then swap out the dead drive with no
need to power down the server and declare the new drive as the
new "hot spare"  I would mirror the read-only patition also

It you truely want "5 nines" you have to set things up so that you
can do normal maintanance (swapping out drives, power supplies and
the like without powering down.

> It's probably possible to do it with another distro too but astlinux
> is
> already pretty much finished :) And the cost of 512 Mb or 1 GB ATA
> flash
> is not much more than a McDonalds meal anyways (1GB is about USD 100
> now)
>
> For voicemail I could also use a microdrive but I'm not sure what
> will
> happen if it breaks and * tries to read/write from it. If that would
> bring
> the box down it's no solution.

=====
Chris Albertson