[Asterisk-Users] Re: bellster.net - GREATadvance

Miguel Ruiz Velasco Sobrino miguelrvs at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Jan 26 16:30:04 MST 2005

>Shoval Tomer wrote:
>> As far as I know it's not legal to join bellster in Israel.
>>
>> It means that you're reselling the minutes you buy from the telco
>> company.
>
>Wouldn't you need to be selling them to be reselling?
>
>Does that make DISA illegal, and VoIP connections between offices if you
>dial out the other end?

Well, a thing like bellster is illegal in any country with a telecomm law (to be read:
all countries).
If you do it in a low volume fashion, it's very difficult for the telco or the regulators
to catch up, also you can argue that you are not doing any economic profit of that. Let's
say, even if bellster uses +240 min/day of your phone, that hardly is noticeable for
them.

To the private intra-company VoIP, you can make a VoIP call from one office to another
and then hop to the PSTN without any problem, it's company only traffic. I do that, and
the telco or the regulators will never come up. Also, if they come they will have an
incredibly hard time proving you that.

BUT, if you start making economic profit (selling) a toll bypassing service without a
gov't permit, the regulators will come to nock your door in a very short time, and you
WILL have a very big fat problem. As example, in Mexico, last month the goverment closed
and seized the equipment of (the major -almost a monopoly- telco complained about having
competition, and the gov't quickly served them as allways) 13 of 14 established VoIP biz
for not having the legal permits in place (the only left already had a permit).

=====
Miguel Ruiz Velasco

Version: OpenKeyServer v1.2
Comment: Extracted from belgium.keyserver.net
Signature: 0x59831109