[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom Phones

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jan 26 12:42:07 MST 2005

> I purchased some 20 Polycom phones (brand new) for a very good price of
> around $165 each. Now I am having a nightmare in configuring them. I
> pulled the bootrom, SIP and config files from freedomphones.com,
> modified them for my need and and started configuring the phones. First
> couple of phones worked well, but I could not configure most of the
> remaining phones. They complain about "Error in loading bootrom". I
> suspect these are newer phones with newer bootrom than I have.
>
> I contacted Polycom. After many emails and calls, finally got hold of
> someone in the SIP certification dept. He was very blatant in saying
> that Polycom has decided not to support Asterisk. When I asked him just
> to give us the bootrom, and SIP application firmware for the phones, he
> refused that too saying it was against Polycom Policy.
>
> Now I am thinking why the hell should I use Polycom phones when they are
> so knee jerk about the Asterisk community. They would not even give us
> legitimate firmware either. They are so arrogant (or stupid) to keep off
> such a significant user community.
>
> What do others feel about this issue. Should we just decide to stay away
> from Polycom phones? Or try to keep a copy of their firmware somewhere
> in the community like freedomphones.com?

I had some of the same issues, although Polycom's tech support offered
to replace the brand new defective phone.

Before the replacement arrived, I dropped back to an earlier firmware
release and it loaded just fine. After that, I upgraded to the later
(wanted) release. That upgraded worked just fine then.

So, try an earlier release of their software on one/two of those phones,
then upgrade again to the wanted release.