[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-biz] bellster.net - GREAT advance

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Jan 25 16:55:28 MST 2005

Sam> In France, the second most important ADSL provider (named "Free")
Sam> offers a phone line (which uses VoIP but can only be used as a FXS)
Sam> with unlimited free calls to landlines.

I also have Free ADSL in Paris, and would very much like to get
their VoIP working natively with Asterisk.  Free assigns each user
both a public (for Internet access) and a private (for VoIP and
television) IP address, e.g. 81.57.8.9 and 10.0.8.9.  For QoS, they
use a separate PVC for each address (RFC 1483 routed VC mux).
Using a standard (non Freebox) modem, I was able to configure an
ATA-186 (with MGCP firmware loaded) to work with the Free service,
both incoming and outgoing.  However, I could not do this with
Asterisk, because it can only act as an MGCP master, so it can't
talk to Free's Call Agent, which of course is also a master.

Is anyone aware of a software gateway that can act as an MGCP
slave (Media Gateway) on one side, and speak IAX, SIP, or
H.323 on the other?

If this is not available, I would be willing to put some effort
into enhancing the * MGCP stack, to also speak the slave side of
the protocol.  Are there other Free users that would be interested
in contributing?

--Stewart