[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on sattelite link

Glenn Powers glenn at net127.com
Mon Jan 24 22:47:25 MST 2005

mjr-asterisk at ranney.com wrote:

>marius baranescu <marius.baranescu at gmail.com> writes:
>

>>I have a running Asterisk box . It is running great
>>My problem is that I can not get connected to the world :) .
>>My only option available here is a satellite connection .
>>I was testing different service providers but all of them are doing
>>firewalling and NAT so SIP, IAX are not working
>>I desperately need to get connected to the world :))
>>Please recommend me a good ISP for Middle East (permanent 2 way
>>connection) , real IP adresses etc
>>

>I guess it depends on where you are in the Middle East.

It doesn't matter /where/ you are. It matters who your satellite
provider is and what equipment they are using.

I worked at a satellite uplink facility for awhile. I recommend iDirect
modems/routers (iDirect.net). They don't sell to anyone but large
operators, but their equipment is very good. Constellation (Hub in
Sweden; NOC in Traverse City, MI) is probably your best bet.

http://www.constellationnetcorp.com/

You can also try SES-Global ( http://www.ses-global.com/ ). I've worked
with SES-Americom. I can't speak for SES-Global

Ping times on iDirect are ~600-800ms, low jitter, which for satellite is
very good. Starband gives ping times around 2000ms on a good day and has
*terrible* jitter. I've used Cisco ATA-186's with iDirect and many
people could not tell them apart from landline.

If you have a satellite modem made by Gilat, don't even waste your time
/trying/ to get VoIP to work...

Iraq was/is a popular destination for _many_ iDirect units.

Bear in mind that getting satellite gear INTO many countries can be
difficult. Some countries (Jordan) require co-ordination through the US
Embassy. Some countries have $4,000-$6,000 import duties on VSAT dishes.

cheers,
glenn