[Asterisk-Users] SIP-T Support (I got my head in an SS7 cloud)

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Mon Jan 24 21:37:09 MST 2005

I agree with your comparison if *,and the like as line side feature
serves, however I don't particularly agree with your class 5 definition.
Perhaps you meant class 4? Class 5 is typically the line side
termination switch. IE your typical POTS line is attached to a Class 5
switch of some sort. Class 4 switches don't have "features" and don't
typically have networks (it's the NNI not the UNI).

All that being said, look in the PSTN. SS7 connection connect Class 5 to
Class 5, Class 4 to Class 4 and Class 4 to Class 5. Therefore, there is
most likely a place to put SS7 into a box with line side features..

Now.. that's not necessarily what I want to do with it. Here's the deal.

1. I have invested in a fancy, expensive SS7 gateway. A Sonus Network. I
have extra A links and point codes. I believe my equipment supports
SIP-T, but I haven't experimented much with these features yet.
2. I have a SIP platform that should be able to parse SIP headers.
Including extended SIP headers found in SIP-T (or so I'm hoping)
3. MGCP allows you to address a remote DS0.
4. Asterisk can connect a SIP to a MGCP call.
<stretch>
5. Both MGCP and SIP support reinvite methods.
6. Asterisk might be able to bridge between MGCP and SIP-T?
</stretch>

Of course it'd take some doing. I could leave out the reinvite stuff if
I could get everything else to work.

Like I said, got my head in the clouds.. Perhaps I should just focus on
hardware that can act as a TDM endpoint for a Sonus PSX (such as the
audiocodes system).
-Brett