[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Mon Jan 24 14:46:48 MST 2005

steve szmidt wrote:

> On Monday 24 January 2005 12:12, Steve Prior wrote:
>
>>One word of caution in case you have X10 equipment.  I recently found out
>>the hard way that some of APC's newest UPS models will cause interference
>>with X10 signals going over the powerline.  I'm not talking about the X10
>>signal not going through the UPC - that would be expected.  I'm saying that
>>in my case it interfered with X10 signals elsewhere in the circuit the UPC
>>was on.  Plugging the UPC into an X10 noise filter solved the problem.
>>
>>Steve
>

> That's interesting. Good fix too! I suspect that might not be all too uncommon
> as they all generate tones for the frequence. Have you tried it with a few
> different UPS's?

I do have other UPS's in the house that didn't cause a problem, but there are
lots of factors (X10 is a pretty hard thing to make reliable on a good day).
I've had all sorts of stuff cause noise on the line including a breadmaker and
some old IBM displays.  If you're serious about X10 for home automation it's a
good idea to have a few noise filters around for things that come up.  I only
mentioned this on this list because I thought the same sort of person who might
put a PBX in their house probably has some X10 there too unless they did something
else very high end.

Steve