[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Greg Blakely greg at vyger.net
Mon Jan 24 11:52:51 MST 2005

Having worked in the telephone equipment business for years, I've found that there are those customers who want the cheapest possible solution -- a refurbished PBX running on the same circuit breaker that the rest of the stuff in the janitor's closet does.

And there are those customers who see that the real cost savings is in having a reliable phone system.  Those customers put the PBX into as controlled an environment as possible.  At a bare minimum, they purchase a good-quality UPS; preferred would be an environment that would support a finicky main frame computer -- air conditioning, humidity control, etc.

Businesses get what they pay for.  But, if they use Asterisk, they can take the savings they have realized over buying a traditional PBX, buy a decent UPS, and still have a chunk of change left over.