[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Mon Jan 24 09:07:41 MST 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 02:52, Peter Svensson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > Why would the heads come in contact with the platters on a powerfail?
> > The arms are very rigid -- the heads only float a few thousandths of an
> > inch

Well, I'm sorry but I find this whole discussion on why you should have a UPS
a bit silly. Electronics are sensitive to ... electricity. May it come in
sudden drops just as the data is only in cache someplace, or pulsing power
going on and off and back on. Never mind spikes.

Fortunately we have pretty good equipment these days that can handle a lot of
abuse.

But why would anyone argue against it?

Either you have the money for it or not. The chance of loosing equipment is
there either way. Buy a good UPS and use it if you can. Period.

The days of shoddy UPS's are long gone, unless you always buy the cheapest
stuff you can find all the time. In which case you might be able to find
something crappy. APC gives good support and make decent UPS's at a decent
price.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin