[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Mon Jan 24 08:53:29 MST 2005

Don't go *too* cheap, though.  I had a couple of really cheap (under $40)
CyberPower UPS's that ended up causing more outages than they protected
against.

I've had good luck with APC, but keep in mind that the batteries have a
finite lifespan.  On SmartUPS and BackUPS Pro models, you'll get a warning
that the battery needs replacing, but on regular BackUPS models the first
hint you get that the battery is bad is when the power goes out and the UPS
doesn't work.  This is sometimes okay for workstation use, but I'd hesitate
to put one of those on a server.

I find that the batteries in our APC UPS's generally last four to five years
for stand-alone units, three years for rack-mount ones.