[Asterisk-Users] Re: IAX Inbound Sound Quality

Mark Eissler mark at mixtur.com
Mon Jan 24 07:57:51 MST 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 10:49 PM, Michael Graves wrote:

> I notice that all four of my IAX2 based termination providers send
> incomming calls in trunking mode. You can tells since the command IAX2
> Show Registry reports all the connections to port 8617. This is
> something that is determined at their end. In trunk mode I beleive that
> the jitter buffer is not effective.

IIRC the jitter buffer is currently broken in trunk mode and should be
turned off.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bandwidth+iax2

An alternative for testing is to set trunk=no in iax.conf. I've had to
do that for my VPC trunks because I've also found that outbound faxing
seems to be broken with trunking turned on (at least to VPC).

> FWIW, I had similar problems with VPC so I switched to Sixtel.net. No
> such problems anymore.

VPC must still be using quite a lot of custom code or routing their
calls in some weird way because I've found two problems with them so
far while using IAX2:

1) The fax problem mentioned above.

2) Inbound DTMF is quite broken. (They are working on a fix and said it
would be at least 30 days...but then in December they said it would
take 2 weeks...). What a drag.

-mark

Mark Eissler, mark at mixtur.com
Mixtur Interactive, Inc. - at - http://www.mixtur.com