[Asterisk-Users] Best VPN server for * and woad warriors using windows?

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Mon Jan 24 07:18:52 MST 2005

>> I would like to
>> install vpn software on the * server for roadwarriors to connect to with
>> laptops running windows.
>
> OK, take a hard look at this before you get too far. Installing VPN
> software *on* the Asterisk box is not a good idea. Now, you haven't
> explained the volume of users on the box, or the availability needs of
> the box, but either way, this is bad practice. The term "roadwarriors'
> makes me think this is for a business.

Actually, both. I want to use it when I on holiday (then I am the
roadwarrior) and want to make a cheap call home but I'm also considering
it for business use.

Why is it bad to put a vpn server on the * box? I will not have any users
logging into it or anything and none of the users will have shell on the
box. Also that particular VPN connection will not be used for anything
else but phonecalls.

>> There are numerous vpn server daemons around and I found many messages
>> about some of them using tcp/udp etc and instead of trying them all out
>> hopefully someone can recommend one?
>
> If you want IPSec, take a look at OpenWall. If you must run this on
> your asterisk box, so be it.

I was considering IPSEC because I heard it is safer or more secure than
PPTP and Windows XP supports IPSEC natively (or so it claims). I don't
care about connecting Win9x clients, stoneage hardware shouldn't be
doing voip anyways. :)

Thanks!!
Remco