[Asterisk-Users] Best VPN server for * and woad warriors using windows?

Brian Roy mister.roy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 06:37:47 MST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:33:14 +0100 (CET), Remco Barende
<asterisk at barendse.to> wrote:

> I would like to
> install vpn software on the * server for roadwarriors to connect to with
> laptops running windows.

OK, take a hard look at this before you get too far. Installing VPN
software *on* the Asterisk box is not a good idea. Now, you haven't
explained the volume of users on the box, or the availability needs of
the box, but either way, this is bad practice. The term "roadwarriors'
makes me think this is for a business.

> There are numerous vpn server daemons around and I found many messages
> about some of them using tcp/udp etc and instead of trying them all out
> hopefully someone can recommend one?

If you want IPSec, take a look at OpenWall. If you must run this on
your asterisk box, so be it.

Now, if I were you, I would take this opportunity to install a good
Linux based firewall solution that sits in FRONT of the asterisk
server. I can't stress this enough. Take a look at m0n0wall. It has
vpn support (ipsec and pptp) built in, and it will run on nearly
anything. Put this on a machine by itself.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

> (I guess this would make a useful wiki page too).
>
> Thanks!! Remco

Hope this helps!

-Chuji