[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Sun Jan 23 22:14:04 MST 2005

On 24/01/2005, at 3:26 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On January 23, 2005 10:30 pm, Nick Bachmann wrote:
>>>  HDDs don't fail because they lose power.
>> Unless the heads crash, which can happen if power fails. I know HDD
>> manufacturers have done "head unloading" and such recently, but the
>> risk
>> is still higher if power is suddenly lost during a write.
>
> Why would the heads come in contact with the platters on a powerfail?
> The
> arms are very rigid -- the heads only float a few thousandths of an
> inch over
> the platters -- something that I don't believe has anything to do with
> the
> platters spinning (that may *help* but I don't think the heads will
> contact
> the platters if they're not spinning) and besides -- any drive
> manufactured
> in the last 5 years will autopark on power fail...  There's an awful
> lot of
> energy stored up in the spindle motor that is used to slam the heads
> into the
> parking zone...

Yet it is still a problem, and still happens. In fact, I've had three
machines in the last three months. It was enough to convince the
cusotmers that a UPS was indeed what they needed to protect their
investment.

A UPS is a good investment. It protects hardware against anything going
wrong, and allows for those rare, but painful blackouts that sometimes
occur.

Andrew