[Asterisk-Users] UPS for Asterisk

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Jan 23 21:26:48 MST 2005

On January 23, 2005 10:30 pm, Nick Bachmann wrote:
> >  HDDs don't fail because they lose power.
> Unless the heads crash, which can happen if power fails. I know HDD
> manufacturers have done "head unloading" and such recently, but the risk
> is still higher if power is suddenly lost during a write.

Why would the heads come in contact with the platters on a powerfail?  The
arms are very rigid -- the heads only float a few thousandths of an inch over
the platters -- something that I don't believe has anything to do with the
platters spinning (that may *help* but I don't think the heads will contact
the platters if they're not spinning) and besides -- any drive manufactured
in the last 5 years will autopark on power fail...  There's an awful lot of
energy stored up in the spindle motor that is used to slam the heads into the
parking zone...

-A.