[Asterisk-Users] Adit 600 as VoIP router (MGCP) and Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Jan 21 02:36:05 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 09:06 +0100, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> Got at suggestion from CarrierAccess to use the Adit 600 as an VoIP
> router using MGCP IP protocol, instead of controlling it through an
> E1.
> Have anyone tried this configuration? How does MGCP works? I've tried
> to search for it on Google, but I only find the protocol specification
> for it.
> Is Asterisk fully capable of this? I can't find any documentatin
> covering the use of MGCP in Asterisk.
> My mission is still to transform one E1 (30ch) from the telco, into 30
> FXS channels, all via Asterisk. :)
>
> Do anyone have a successful story about using MGCP with Asterisk?
>
> Do I still have the full power of Asterisk even when using MGCP? I
> would like it to be, like if I were using FXS PCI-cards localy in the
> server. :)

30 channels of FXS on PCI cards currently would require 8 cards. Not
financially a good idea not to mention that if you stick to the 2 cards
per machine that you would be up to 4 machines just for those 30 ports.

I don't know what the MGCP card costs for the ADIT. Compare it to the
cost of 1 or 2 T1 ports via Digium cards.