[Asterisk-Users] G.729? Worth it? -- YES --

mmiranda at americatel.com.sv mmiranda at americatel.com.sv
Wed Jan 19 14:49:53 MST 2005

im using  g729, but the bw usage is ~26 kbps per call, my gateways (cisco)
support g723 and the bw between the gateways is ~18 kbps per call. Much
better than the ~62 kbps of the g711. if you plan to be a voip provider you
"must" go with compression codecs, especially if you want your customers to
browse the  internet while having a call.
i.e. : We give voip phones (grandstream) to our VIP internet customers (512k
- 1Mb bw), and create a tunnel (QoS) for voip traffic of 128 kbps, with
compression codecs the  customer can have 4 - 5 simultaneous calls, without
compression codecs 2.
BTW, i want to use only g723 but coudnt find licences for it, where can buy
it in groups of 10 - 20 instead of 1000's ?
Miguel