[Asterisk-Users] G.729? Worth it?

Paul Rodan asterisk at glitch.cc
Wed Jan 19 11:16:55 MST 2005

Funny thing about g729, when I setup my server to ONLY allow g729, and then
put my Cisco 7960's phone into g729 mode, the first call went through fine
as g729. If I put that party on hold, and dialed another number, that too
would be g729. But if I tried to call 1 party, and conference in another
party, I got codec warning messages, the phone(s) were trying to make the
2nd call as ULaw, and what's worst, it try to transform the original stream
that was g729 into ULaw as well.

I've gotten some strange behaviour of my Sipura and using g729 with multiple
streams as well. Certain calls try to revert back to ULaw.

For the most part, I've given up on g729.