[Asterisk-Users] something between an ATA and a channel bank for a small office?

nik martin asterisk-users at nik-martin.com
Tue Jan 18 15:11:55 MST 2005

I have had very bad experiences with IAXYs so far.. I have pulled them
and will be attempting a refund shortly.  Bad audio, overheating and
shutting down until allowed to cool, etc. make it unusable in a business
environment.

That said, is there a low-mid priced solution for a remote office to
connect to a home office runing asterisk?  There seems to be a hole in
the market for 6-8 person remote offices.  SIP isn't really an option
because the remote office is fairly low bandwidth (1.4 mb down, 256k up
ADSL).

It seems my options are:
1. Inexpensive SIP phones connected to a local asterisk server which
connects to my * server at the main office.

2. POTS phones + Asterisk + channel bank + t-1 card at remote office,
connected to my asterisk server at main office

3. POTS phones and multiple FXS cards in * server at remote office with
local T-1 line to terminate calls + IAX2 connection to main office for
inter-office calls.

None of these seem ideal due to the complexity of having a remote *
asterisk server in the loop.

Any suggestions?