[Asterisk-Users] Newbie question: Can't start up asterisk

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 15:48:41 MST 2005

Folks,

I've just successfully set up Asterisk (as part of the
Asterisk Management Portal installation). When I say
"successfully", I mean that I have gone through all
the steps detailed for the installation of AMP and not
hit any snags there. I can connect to my asterisk
server via ssh and can also connect via Http to the
portal to change settings in AMP.

Now I'm trying to start up Asterisk itself. When I
type in "/usr/sbin/asterisk -vvvvcp", it does a  bunch
of stuff, then exits with the message
"Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Broken
pipe"

>From a Google search, this doesn't seem to be anything
obvious. Can anyone walk me through this? I'd really
like to get asterisk running.

My environment: White Box Enterprise Linux, a
VoicePulse Connect! DID, no telephony cards. I've
tried to edit the system to use the ztdummy, but am
not sure it successfully registered that change.

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

BeOnIce