[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality - commercial vs. Asterisk

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 18 14:39:05 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Kennedy" <skennedy at tpno.org>
> Likely, you are running into packet queue problems.  As I recall, the
> vonage device goes on the line before anything else, so it can shape the
> stream to put it's bits first, ensuring it's packets get out in a timely
> matter ( #1 important thing in voip ).  If you were to shape your stream
> and put your voip bits first, then I think you'd see an improvement in the
> qualty of service.

I agree I probably am having some packet queue problems, however i don't
think it's my only problem.  My Vonage ATA adapter is actually further
behind the line than my Asterisk server.  My configuration is such:

Cable Modem -->
  Asterisk Server & Linux Router (Each have their own real IP) -->
    Vonage ATA (behind Linux router)

I don't have QoS running on my Linux box, though I've been thinking about
trying to implement it.  If I did manage to get it implemented then I'll
probably also move my Asterisk server behind the router.  Up until now I've
left the Asterisk server in the real world due to problems running Asterisk
behind a NAT.  Those problems, however, seem to have been dealt with and a
friend of mine is successfully running his behind a NAT.    So QoS may be
the way to, perhaps.

I don't think it'll resolve all my issues though - if the Vonage ATA can do
it withough QoS running, then surely there's more I can do with Asterisk.
Perhaps the new jitter buffering coming soon will fix... *shrug*...

Paul