[Asterisk-Users] Sound quality - commercial vs. Asterisk

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno.org
Tue Jan 18 07:29:55 MST 2005

Paul Fielding wrote:

> So far in my playing with Asterisk I've messed with soft phones
> (x-ten, sjphone), hard phones (Grandstream 102), and ATA adapters
> (Grandstream 286, Digium IAXy).
>
> I've also got a Vonage line, using a Linksys ATA.
>
> None of the devices I've connected to my Asterisk server have been
> able to maintain the same consistent sound quality over a long
> distance as the Vonage line.    Don't get me wrong, the Grandstreams
> are actually not too bad, but there is still some breakups that can be
> annoying.
>
> Meanwhile the Vonage ATA maintains an almost flawless connection, all
> the time.
>
> I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly?) that the Linksys ATA that Vonage uses
> is still using SIP with some standardized codec.  If that assumption
> is correct, then how the heck to they manage to get the consistent
> connection quality?  Is it just a matter of the right setting tweaks
> within Asterisk and/or the SIP devices?
>
> I don't think it's a question of Asterisk hardware, since if I connect
> via local network to the Asterisk server with a SIP device the quality
> is pretty consistent.   It's generally when remotely connecting that I
> have the inconsistent sound quality.  This would lead me to believe
> that it's a matter of tweaking something to deal with latency or
> packet dropping issues (?).
>
> What has Vonage got figured out that I still need to?  Any comments
> would be appreciated...
>
> regards,
>
> Paul

Likely, you are running into packet queue problems.  As I recall, the
vonage device goes on the line before anything else, so it can shape the
stream to put it's bits first, ensuring it's packets get out in a timely
matter ( #1 important thing in voip ).  If you were to shape your stream
and put your voip bits first, then I think you'd see an improvement in
the qualty of service.

Granted, I don't know your particular situation, so this could all be
guess work.

Sean