[Asterisk-Users] Prefered server hardware

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Tue Jan 18 14:25:28 MST 2005

Scott Stingel wrote:
> The reason for an asterisk system to be able to work from -48v is really
> only if the end-user customer requires it as part of a spec. - I would
> think only a minority of sites would require this though.    These days,
> most equipment rooms I've been in can supply lots of backed-up AC.

Pardon me, my 'ee' experience was a long time ago, but isn't it "easier"
to provide clean DC than it is to provide clean AC?

Basically, if you run all of your power through AC-DC converters then
through battery banks (basically capacitors) finally going out to your
equipment, any and all problems introduced from your AC source is
effectively filtered out.  This is similar to what really expensive UPS
units do, except they also convert back to AC as a final step.

If I'm completely off in left field standing on a fence of toothpicks,
please forgive me and correct me where I am wrong.

-Chris