[Asterisk-Users] Prefered server hardware

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Jan 18 14:13:25 MST 2005

I think it's cheaper (and more efficient) for the telco's to provide a
large bank of batteries to provide the -48 volt power used in a lot of
their equipment and services, rather than use a typical inverter system
to convert battery DC voltage to AC.   I've been in rooms where there is
a complete wall with dozens of very large batteries - enough I imagine
to run the CO for hours (maybe days).

Yes, you can buy giant PBX switches from the major vendors with -48 DC
power supplies instead of AC.

The reason for an asterisk system to be able to work from -48v is really
only if the end-user customer requires it as part of a spec. - I would
think only a minority of sites would require this though.    These days,
most equipment rooms I've been in can supply lots of backed-up AC.

regards
Scott Stingel

www.evtmedia.com