[Asterisk-Users] External fax modem takeover of fxo?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Jan 18 10:40:47 MST 2005

On 2005.01.18 08:36 Walt Reed wrote:

> I'm thinking of hooking up the faxmodem to the line directly, then
> hooking the X100P to the modem's Phone port.

 From what I've been able to determine, Asterisk would be most unhappy
if you did that.  On X100Ps that "phone" jack/port needs to simply be
ignored.  I have a telephone connected to mine, but it's only there in
the off-chance of an emergency, power outage, or to troubleshoot
problems with the FXO.

> Can I enable fax detection and use the fax extension to spawn an
> external
> command (halafax) to receive the fax?

Uh, well, in the obvious way yes, but not in the way that you seem to
be wanting to hear.

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,wait(5)
exten => s,3,....
exten => fax,1,Dial(FXS_PORT)

Where "FXS_PORT" is an FXS port where a HylaFAX-controlled modem is
connected... or any other fax device for that matter.

The problem is, though, that there seems to be a significant amount of
data loss when receiving with this configuration... even using ULAW.
Now, an ECM-aware fax device may compensate well-enough, but there's
still a problem.

> What is the state of fax detection with the stable branch of * on an
> X100P? Does it work reliably?

Fax detection is generally okay, but there are some problems.  See:

   http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002165

Lee.