[Asterisk-Users] External fax modem takeover of fxo?

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Tue Jan 18 09:36:50 MST 2005

Given all the issues with the fax DSP code and reliability, I'm looking
into the option of using an external fax modem instead of trying to
shoehorn asterisk into handling faxes properly...

I'm thinking of hooking up the faxmodem to the line directly, then
hooking the X100P to the modem's Phone port.

Can I enable fax detection and use the fax extension to spawn an external
command (halafax) to receive the fax? In theory, this should cause the
modem to "take over" the line, disconnecting the X100P (causing a Red
alarm) and receive the fax.

What is the state of fax detection with the stable branch of * on an
X100P? Does it work reliably?

Do I need to wait() or will Dial still be able to detect faxes:

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Dial(blah extension for phone|20|d)
exten => fax,1,System(tell-halafax-to-answer)

or is this required:

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,wait(5)
exten => s,3,Dial(blah extension for phone|20|d)
exten => fax,1,System(tell-halafax-to-answer)

Anyone doing something like this already?