[Asterisk-Users] Any interest in a Canadian Asterisk mailing list?

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 17 16:26:00 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On January 17, 2005 04:47 pm, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>> LOL. I hadn't thought of it that way. Little vignettes amidst the
>> commercials?
>
> Exactly -- It's precisely why I hang around on linux-elitists
> and a couple
> other oddball lists...  a good 90% of what's there is crap
> but man when
> something good comes by...  wowza.

It sure can be time consuming trying to keep up, though.

>> Just because the volume isn't there? That might be a good thing, ya
>> know - have a list with, say, one or two messages a day, on average.
>
> True, but that's why I like looking at sineapps now and again -- they
> sometimes focus on things that I've not even seen, it's interesting
> reading...  but I slug it out on the list well, just to slug
> it out.  :-)

I think we are all a bit masochistic on this list . . . all 10,000 plus
of us . . .

>> It was a policy at our company that any new product implementation
>> would always require Technical Support be involved until several
>> engineers, technicians and installers were comfortable with it. I
>> hope I always remember the lessons learned from getting new
>> products, and having to develop training and implementation
>> practices.

>> Seems that making mistakes is actually a fantastic (albeit
>> uncomfortable) way to learn. I sometimes wonder if I unconsciously
>> muck things up at first as a rite of passage.
>
> We have a similar policy here and it really helps people
> understand why things
> are done a certain way when they have to field some of the
> customer calls
> themselves.  "right" and "wrong" take on new nuances that
> they would have
> otherwise been oblivious and even belligerent towards.
>
>> Nobody knows a thing so well as those who can expertly break it.
>
> That sounds very close to "As soon as you make something
> idiot-proof along
> comes a better class of idiot."  :-)

One of my favorites is (to paraphase Douglas Adams):

"It's easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of these things by
the sense of satisfaction you get from making them work at all"

>> Would it be considered trolling to start a thread on Cleaning Maple
>> Syrup off of Dial Pads, or Wiring your Moose for Wi-Fi?
>
> Let's not forget the weekly "tooques and telephony" segment,
> and a review of
> the best block heaters for your wi-fi fones.

Snoms and Snowmobiles?
Ice Phishing?
Tim Hortel?