[Asterisk-Users] Canadian Content: Telus and Shaw...

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Jan 17 15:07:19 MST 2005

I called Telus before Christmas requesting some sort of VOIP connection.
Here is what I learned:

a) the guy I was talking to never heard of *
b) they didn't think there was any way that a PC could perform the
duties of a PBX
c) they told me they didn't have any VOIP connections, but then told me
that they would supply and connect Nortel PBXs using H323
d) they would not supply me with an H323 connection for *.

I don't have time to discuss this in detail, I just thought I'd share it
based on the chat in the CDN list discussion.

We are going with babytel.  I'll advise how that works when it is up and
running, hopefully next week.

BTW: Shaw is supposed to start supplying VOIP on a separate network from
their high speed network.  Here is the news clip:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2005/01/14/898082-sun.html

I find this interesting because several people have told me they are
using Shaw's high speed Internet service as the backbone of their VOIP
system. (Extreme is supposed to work even better.)

I wonder if Telus is going to block the SIP ports on their ADSL
network ?  I wonder if Shaw will ?  (Telus presently blocks the SMPT
port so that you MUST you their mail server.)

I wonder if shaw or telus people lurk on this site.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.