[Asterisk-Users] PRI concentrator

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Jan 14 09:45:42 MST 2005

> Here is what I am looking for: picture a cisco catalyst switch. (or any
> 24port rackmount switch thats 1U).
> Plug into ports 1-23, a single PRI.
> Plug a 100Megabit (or gigabit) ethernet cable into Port 24 that goes
> directly to asterisk.
>
> Now you have 1 cable to/from asterisk that can handle all 23 pri's.
> kinda
> like a channel bank for FX but for PRI.

Yes,  it is called a Lucent MAX TNT or Cisco AS 5400 with DS-3 input
(28 T1s, 28 PRIs) and Fast E output.  They both support SIP and MGCP
which works well with Asterisk
If you really want RJ-45 connections for your PRIs (ick) then you can
connect the DS-3 into a CAC Widebank 28 and DSX1 panel with RJ48
connectors.  The problem with fitting 28 T1s into 1RU is the DSPs and
the heat they generate.  24 * 28 = 672 g.729 streams,  that takes a LOT
of horsepower.  Lucent & Cisco do it on hardware DSPs,  Lucent has 96
DSPs on a card 7 cards for a DS-3 + DS-3 card + FastE card +
controller.  The MAX TNT is 7RU I think