[Asterisk-Users] Voice Mail Notification

Robert Jackson RobertJ at promedicalinc.com
Thu Jan 13 21:12:51 MST 2005

While I have not specifically done what you are attempting
I'll give an example of how I cope with a similar situation.

First, create a simple script that generates a call file.
This could be via any language, but I have only used Perl and
simple shell scripts.  The script needs to use the variables
passed to it and create the call file.  Make sure you create
it in a temp directory and move it to
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing as * is very aggressive in
generating these calls, and will attempt to place the call
before the file is written otherwise.  Specify that the call
needs to go to your cell phone number then if answered should
be connected to an extension you create in the Dialplan.  To
make all of this work properly use the externnotify variable
in voicemail.conf which will execute the script you created
before.  The rest is trivial using dialplan logic.  Simply
make the extension you referenced and have it do whatever you
want.

* voicemail.conf info -
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+config+voicemail.c
onf