[Asterisk-Users] What is the best and easiest flavor to be used with Asterisk.

Andrew McRory amcrory at linuxsys.com
Wed Jan 12 06:10:13 MST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Imran Sadiq <imran at lancom.co.nz> wrote:

> Could anyone please advise me on the best flavor of Linux on which
> Asterisk is easiest to install.

I like Fedora Core 1 if for no other reason than I am used to redhat
distributions. Also you can grab RPMS from
ftp://ftp.linuxsys.com/pub/releases/FC1 for an easy installation.

The only caveat I know of with these packages is that something has
changed in Asterisk recently where it is not happy running as user
"asterisk" which is what my packaging intends to do. Until I have time to
figure this out, I recommend that you edit line 26 in /etc/init.d/asterisk
and remove "--user asterisk" the line reads:

	daemon /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk

This change will cause asterisk to run as root. I will get around to
making this a option set /etc/sysconfig/asterisk eventually but for now
you will have to edit the said file.

Other than that, grab the kernel when you download and you wont have to
recompile anything.

Good luck!

--
Andrew McRory - President/CTO