[Asterisk-Users] (UN)structured E1

Alex G Robertson alex at microlink.com.br
Tue Jan 11 13:15:41 MST 2005

Hi all.

We are getting our first PRI line to use with Asterisk and one of the technical
specifications is about framing, structured or unstructured.

The main difference about them is almost clear for me:

http://ckp.made-it.com/g704.html says:
"G.704 is the framing specification for G.703. A carrier can 'steal' a 64kbps
time slot (TS0) from a 2.048 Mbps line and use this to provide timing. The
result is that 31 time slots are left for data, which equals in a bandwidth of
1.984 Mbps.

Normally G.703 lines with G.704 framing is called Structured G.703. Carriers
offer G.704 when their network is built up on a cross-connect basis, and will
offer unstructured G.703 when their infrastructure is based upon multiplexers."

But, what about Asterisk and Digium TDM interface TE405/TE410 ?
Does it support Structured and Unstructured framing?

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance
--
Alex G Robertson