[Asterisk-Users] What is acceptablenetworklatencyforvoipconnection?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Tue Jan 11 01:29:37 MST 2005

> How does an ISP provide a Jitter SLA on a Data T1? Jitter < 5ms? How
does
> one measure that?

You can get a good feel for delay and jitter just by running a
continuous ping to a core router on your ISPs network during peak
times(or to Google for that matter) and visually monitoring the results.
A good, unsaturated link will have extremely consistent response times
with less than 5ms variations between packets.

There are several ways to measure IP performance;

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/saa.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tech_brief0900aecd801752ec.h
tml

Not using Cisco routers? Hunt the web for a Linux equivalent (anyone
know of one?), or;

Use any program capable of sending ICMP echoes and recording the
response times.

Gather ~24 hours of data at a time, every 1 second or more (every 1
second would be 86400 data points per day).

Load the data in a spreadsheet (or create a script to calculate)

Find the absolute value of the difference between every packet and the
packet preceding it, and then average all of the difference values.

The result is your "average jitter"

Qualify your results by disclosing the parameters you use to measure.

Include the measurement technique and expected results in your SLA so
your curious customers can verify your performance.

Monitor your network continuously, IP networks are very dynamic.

With all of that being said, most ISP customer's measure with their ear
by answering the question "is my VoIP working?"