[Asterisk-Users] Generic modem question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jan 10 19:09:54 MST 2005

> Does asterisk support the intel 537/md3200 chipset?  I don't want to start
> any flames here, I know all about using generic crap in asterisk,[*]  which
> I really don't approve of other than for testing, but I have a customer
> demanding a generic chipset for his one backup analog line.  He will not
> spend the money for a Digium card and says he will find another
> company if I can not provide a generic FXO port.

There were several cards manufactured with the 537/md3200 chips. One
model was designed for US use while others were for global use. The
x100p was the US type. An individual from the UK was just implementing
a 537/md3200 type in the last week and had some echo issues. Not sure
which exact model he had though; but best guess was a US type. (The
US type used a Silicon Labs 3012 chip for 600 ohm pstn lines, while
the global version used a different chip for other line impedences.)

There should be plenty of digium x100p's around for very reasonable
prices given they've been removed from the digium web site.