[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk and InterTel Axxess system?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Sun Jan 9 20:56:52 MST 2005

Hi Steve -

> Is * a proper tool to provide a SIP<->MGCP gateway?  Am I even asking
> for something that makes sense?

Sure.  I think * is perfect for what you describe.  In fact, I don't
really know of another tool that could bridge SIP and MGCP.

> If so, where's the best "from the ground up, assume I don't know the
> lingo" guidance on how to get where I want to go?  Like many open
> source projects, the documentation I've seen so far seems to assume the
> reader is not a newbie in this field.  I'm hoping there's introductory
> documentation someone can point me towards.  Asterisk 101, if you will.

Well...  There's really not a guide for the beginner, which is sort of
a catch-22, since everyone has to begin somewhere.  The closest thing
you'll get to a beginner guide is the asterisk section of the wiki
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk).  I don't exactly find it to
be complete, but you can fill in the holes with the ADP (*
documentation project):
http://ourproject.org/docman/view.php/116/150/vm1.html
Also, if you are patient, the archives of this mailing list cover a
million and one issues.

> I have *@home running on an old PC, but don't have a clue where to
> begin configuring, or what proper configurations would look like
> anyway....

I don't use MGCP, but if you want to see my sip.conf and
extensions.conf, just let me know.

Good luck, and enjoy the great city of Madison (I lived there for 8
years and loved it)!

Thanks,
Noah