[Asterisk-Users] 3 site asterisk installation question

Brian Roy mister.roy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:33:08 MST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:15:09 -0500, Ronald Hartmann
<RHartmann at nnamtrah.com> wrote:
> Good Day list,
>
>        I have a friend who is interested in implementing an asterisk
> implementation at his offices.

I'm assuming you will be doing the implementation or you friend can't
post to the list himself?

<snip>
>        The configuration would consist of the following
>
>        Site A ---- Asterisk Box With 12 incoming lines and 15 phones
>                Extensions 101-115
>        Site B ---- Asterisk Box With 4 incoming lines and 7 phones
>                Extensions 201-207
>        Site C ---- Asterisk Box With 4 incoming lines and 6 phones
>                Extensions 301-307
>        He would like to have this system setup such that anytime a call
> comes into Site B or Site C, that it is forwarded to an operator group
> at Site A.

Possible. IAX2 is the magic word.

>        When Site A determines that the call needs to go to a sales rep
> for site B, they want to be able to forward the call to the
> "Queue_SiteB" and operate as such.
>                First Ring Agent1, then Agent2 (Both of which are local
> to SiteB) then Ring Agent3 who is at SiteA, finally Ring Agent4 who is
> at SiteC.

Tricky, but doable.Might be better if you queue timeout and go to SiteC

>        Will Asterisk allow me to have agents to log into ACD Queues on
> different Boxes?  Feasibly agents would be logged into 3 different ACD
> Queues 1 which is local to them and

Yes, agents can log on to multiple queues

>        The other two which are located on a separate box.
>
>        Finally, does Asterisk have the ability to share dialplans
> between the boxes?

Yes, this is not for the faint at heart though. IAX can do left and
right sharing of dialplans.

>        Any feedback as to the feasibility of such a creation would be
> greatly appreciated.

You have a pretty advanced setup here. The queues will take some
creativity. Also, you might be able to enlist the help of DUNDI to
create your meshed enviornment.

>        PS> They need separate Asterisk Boxes at each site incase the
> connection between sites goes down, they want to be able to operate
> independently.

That's a good plan.

> Ron

Final thought.... I don't recommend you tackling this on your own at
this stage of your asterisk knowledge. This sounds like a pretty
critical production enviornment that needs a properly thought out
implementation. You will probably want to look for a seasoned *
consultant to help you with this design. Take a look on the wiki for
asterisk consultants in your area.

-Chuji