[Asterisk-Users] spandsp and app_rxfax (alternative topic: t38modem)

Ryan lists at vanmiddlesworth.org
Thu Jan 6 14:14:40 MST 2005

Dear gods of the PBX (flattery works here, right?) -

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get Asterisk to receive and
decode a fax using spandsp and app_rxfax.  It seems like it should be
working.  The fax machine on the other end connects and Asterisk reports
a fax coming in.  But when it's done all I have is a 2 or 3 KB TIF (see
attachment).

The console activity looks completely normal:
    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/3-1'
    -- Executing SetVar("Zap/3-1",
"FAXFILE=/var/spool/asterisk/fax/1105043880.0.tif") in new stack
    -- Executing RxFAX("Zap/3-1",
"/var/spool/asterisk/fax/1105043880.0.tif") in new stack
    -- Hungup 'Zap/3-1'

And there are no errors in the log file.

Here's my config:
  Wildcard TDM40B hardware (Zaptel)
  asterisk-1.0.2
  spandsp-0.0.2pre6
  libtiff-3.6.1 (with the fax fix patches)
  (also tried libtiff-3.6.0 and libtiff-3.5.7)

I've tried multiple sending fax machines and get the same effect.

Any tips on getting this setup working?  I've run out of ideas.

Alternately, I'd also be willing to offload the DSP processing to a
HylaFAX machine using some sort of software fax driver.  I tinkered with
t38modem and chan_h323, but couldn't get it to do anything once the
HylaFAX machine answered.  So if anybody has any experience with that,
I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan VanMiddlesworth