[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom IP500 - problems with multiple simultaneous calls

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Jan 5 23:09:14 MST 2005

> I have these very phones and took me a while to figure this out myself.
> The phone considers each line registration to be a line with a second
> line.  So, call line while someone is on a call and another instance
> will appear below.   That means you only need one registered instance
> for the phones to get two incoming calls.  If however you want to have
> second registered extension rung if the first is busy, you have to
> configure that in Asterisk and the phone so that it moves to the next
> Dial command on a busy from the phone.  However, to get a busy from the
> phone, you have to configure the phone not to have the second ringing
> instance for the single registration.
>
> Confused?  I was...  So...  Your phone display looks some6thing like
> this...
>
> LINE 1>
> LINE 2>
> BLAH >
>
> In order to make line 1 toll into line 2, you need to make the phone
> SIP
> back that it is busy when Line 1 is engaged.  Default out of the box is
> to show the incoming call on line below the current call on line one.

Hi Wiley -

Thanks for the research!  I've tried out a couple of the "divert"
settings, but haven't yet found one that'll get the IP500's to send a
busy message when only one call is active on a line.  I'll keep trying,
and I'll let you know if I come up with anything.  I thought I should
let you know, too, that another gentleman showed me a tricky way to
accomplish the same end result by using a number of different contexts
on the external lines, and then some fancy settings in the dialplan.
I'm not sure I understand his configs yet, but he got it to work.  If
you want those config files, just let me know.

Thanks Again,
Noah