[Asterisk-Users] "Out the box" solutions?

Wed Jan 5 18:15:47 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:14 -0600, Lane wrote:
> Hi, again.
>
> I've spent a week trying to get asterisk to work on FreeBSD unix, with some
> success.  Everything works until I plug the box into the TELCO line and then
> the line goes off-hook and stays that way.
>
> So I bit the bullet and decided to install the application on a fresh linux
> install.  Not to start an OS war, here, but linux is ... difficult ... for an
> old unix hand to get his mind around.  It's a completely different landscape!
> And why is it that /etc/modules.conf in one release is /etc/modprobe.conf in
> another?  Is this beast not based on standards?
>
> But I digress.
>
> I chose FC3 (Fe

Personally, I've never had a problem with Debian. Use the testing
version (as opposed to unstable or stable). I suspect this should work
quite painlessly.

PS, In my experience, RH is quite 'loose' with the 'standards' while
debian tends to be quite strict. Also, regardless of which distro you
choose, it will be quite different to FreeBSD, I walked into a job with
a bunch of FreeBSD servers having only experience on Linux, and, while
it is different, unusual, and seemingly stupid at times how things are
done, eventually you will see the good sides as well.

<off topic rambling>
There is something about "make world" that I just really liked....
However, I never did like the lack of information in /proc on FreeBSD,
nor the lack of lots of 'standard (on linux)' tools that are so helpful.

So, overall, there are some things better done in linux, and some better
in FreeBSD, but since we can't live on both sides of the fence, you
gotta take the good with the bad...
</off topic rambline>

Regards,
Adam