[Asterisk-Users] TDM04B vs Dell

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jan 5 17:53:55 MST 2005

> I've struggled for several days trying to get a Digium TDM04B 4-port
> wxfco card working on a Dell 1U PowerEdge 750 machine running
> Fedora Core 1. I finally got a call back from Digium who indicated that
> there is a fundamental conflict between the card and the PowerEdge
> having to do with PCI interrupts. Asterisk version is stable v1-0 12/29/04.

That sounds a little hard to believe.

> The symptoms of the problem were as follows:
>
> 1. issue "modprobe zaptel" which immediately returns with no feedback
>
> 2. issue "modprobe wcfxo" which returns
> 	init_module: No such device
> 	Hint: isnmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>
> 3. issue "modprobe wcfxs" which immediately returns with no feedback, however
> the four lights on the card go on and then the machine locks up completely,
> requiring
> a power cycle to get it running again. After the power cycle, if I look in
> /var/log/messages

If you have a tdm04b, that says you have four fxo ports. Why are you
trying to load wcfxs?

> I see a long cycle of the following messages before reboot:
> 	kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
> 	kernel: Do you have a strnage power saving mode enabled?
> 	kernel: Uhhuh, NMI received for unknown reason 20 on CPU 0
>
> 4. if I cat /proc/interrupts, I don't see any entry for a wcfxo module.
>
> In any case, I did follow the setup instructions on the Digium site (make
> install in /usr/src/zaptel, edit /etc/zaptel.conf, edit
> /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, etc.)
> and we currently have a X100P wcfxo card in another machine running well
> so we've already had experience getting a card working.
>
> If anyone has insight into what might be wrong, please do let me know.
> Ultimately, if I trust the Digium support information, then this card will
> never work, so I'd be grateful to hear about any other PCI card that provides
> four or so wcfxo interfaces that might work with the PowerEdge.

I don't use Fedora, but it seems those that do have had problems
your /proc/interrupts. If that doesn't work, try modprobe zaptel only.
I think someone mentioned a readme in the src/zaptel directory for
Fedora as well. Might look.