[Asterisk-Users] TDM04B vs Dell

Michael Swan swan at neon.com
Wed Jan 5 17:01:07 MST 2005

Hi all,

I've struggled for several days trying to get a Digium TDM04B 4-port
wxfco card working on a Dell 1U PowerEdge 750 machine running
Fedora Core 1. I finally got a call back from Digium who indicated that
there is a fundamental conflict between the card and the PowerEdge
having to do with PCI interrupts. Asterisk version is stable v1-0 12/29/04.

The symptoms of the problem were as follows:

1. issue "modprobe zaptel" which immediately returns with no feedback

2. issue "modprobe wcfxo" which returns
	init_module: No such device
	Hint: isnmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

3. issue "modprobe wcfxs" which immediately returns with no feedback, however
the four lights on the card go on and then the machine locks up completely,
requiring
a power cycle to get it running again. After the power cycle, if I look in
/var/log/messages
I see a long cycle of the following messages before reboot:
	kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
	kernel: Do you have a strnage power saving mode enabled?
	kernel: Uhhuh, NMI received for unknown reason 20 on CPU 0

4. if I cat /proc/interrupts, I don't see any entry for a wcfxo module.

In any case, I did follow the setup instructions on the Digium site (make
install in /usr/src/zaptel, edit /etc/zaptel.conf, edit
/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, etc.)
and we currently have a X100P wcfxo card in another machine running well
so we've already had experience getting a card working.

If anyone has insight into what might be wrong, please do let me know.
Ultimately, if I trust the Digium support information, then this card will
never work, so I'd be grateful to hear about any other PCI card that provides
four or so wcfxo interfaces that might work with the PowerEdge.

TIA,

Michael Swan
Neon Software, Inc.