[Asterisk-Users] manager API

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Wed Jan 5 08:52:50 MST 2005

> Guys,
> After connecting to the * manager, each and every event is sent to the
> connected client, right?
>
> This means that if I install a client on each PC for monitoring incoming
> calls, or pretty much anything else, it will create a lot of excess
> traffic on my LAN.
>
> Can I connect to the manager and tell it to send only events regarding
> specific extension(s) my way?
>
> I'd like to provide a popup display say "incoming call from CALLERID"
> and provide a way for the callee to divert it to voicemail or something
> like that.
>
> Thanks

Another option would be to write a manager proxy (look on the wiki -
several simple examples already exist) that only sends particular events
on to clients who request them.  Basically have a script connect to *
one time.  Clients then connect to this script instead of * and tell the
script what messages they want to know about.  At this point the script
handles the end clients - not * - a double benefit (less net traffic and
less work for *).

-Chris