[Asterisk-Users] IAXy Static... and other issues

Curren C. Calhoun asterisk at currencalhoun.com
Tue Jan 4 16:02:43 MST 2005

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a few IAXy units for some testing, and have come
across a some problems.

One of them can be provisioned but will not ring the connected
telephone.  It also does not provide a dial tone when you pick up the
phone.  When a call is made to the IAXy one of the green lights on the
board goes from a solid on state, to a flashing state that coincides
with the ringing that is heard on the telephone you are placing the call
from.

I have mentioned this to Digium who said they would replace it, and have
been waiting for over a week for them to issue an RMA for it (as I think
this would mean that the FXS is faulty).

The other one that is giving me problems has a different setup.  It is
being used from an outside network in another state (I'm in PA they are
in VA), it registers with the * server, and I can call it.  The
telephone connected will ring, but when the user picks up they cannot
hear me but I can hear them perfectly.  If the user tries to call out
via the IAXy, they don't get a dial tone... all they get is static.  If
they dial an extension (say to call me) the extension called will ring,
but again I can hear them but they cannot hear me.  This is also true if
they call or are called from another IAXy, which (I think...) is working
correctly.  I have read that the static may be a power supply issue,
although the current power supplies were provided by Digium.  Also have
read that the one-way voice could be related to trunking, but both the
IAXy and the * server are set to no.  And a third IAXy has been working
with the same iax.conf settings (except for a different extension).

To put another fun spin on this... I have been able to connect to the
same iax.conf settings using Firefly soft phones without any problems,
but would like to be independent of a computer whenever possible.  I'm
not sure if I have missed anything... port 4569 is opened on both the
router connected to the * server, as well as the router the IAXy is
connected to.  I have also opened DMZ's on both sides, as well as tried
without opening any of the ports or DMZ's.... I'm stuck.

Anyone with any thoughts.... I would really appreciate any help.