[Asterisk-Users] QOS / Cisco / Asterisk

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Tue Jan 4 13:39:49 MST 2005

<snip>

> What's wrong with doing it by port?

We're actually using SIP to terminate calls, going by rtp.conf the ports
could range several thousand ports. What we're going for is only
honoring TOS for that particular customer, luckily these are T1
customers hosted on our routers. They understand that their firewalls
cannot pass TOS, if they do (ie: we packet sniff and see this) then
they're on their own.

In a nutshell we wanted to avoid using hardcoded ports, what if say a
game server was in that port range (and used udp lol), you would be
rather screwed.

</snip>

Ahh OK. Well, how about configuring a laptop with ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com/) and capturing the packets you have in mind? It
even runs on Windows. :p It's pretty easy to specify a particular
destination or so, for limiting which traffic you sniff. You could use an
old hub and start plugging the laptop in between routers using the hub so
it can capture the packets. Should be fairly quick to isolate which router
is modifying the TOS value. Just an idea... of course you have to have
physical access to the network...

HTH,
-Ron